(Formerly Swift Fundamentals)
Join our mailing list to receive an early bird discount code worth $60 for this class!
Take flight on your coding journey with our introductory course to coding in the official Apple language, Swift!
Our introductory course is designed to teach kids the fundamentals of coding, which they can build on later in our more advanced iOS development courses. We use the Swift language which is used by professional developers to create apps for your favourite Apple products!
*Learn more about the Swift language HERE
When does First Flight Run?
- We have one, two-week summer session this year
- Our summer course is run like a bootcamp, students meet every morning with their instructor for two hours from 9AM - 11AM
- Classes run Monday - Friday the first week and Monday - Thursday the second week
- Classes take place over Zoom, with an industry expert
- Summer session runs July 11 - 21
Who is Swift Fundamentals designed for?
- Swift Fundamentals is a coding course aimed at kids aged 11-15*
- This is a beginner coding course for children, no previous knowledge in coding is needed
* This age range is a suggestion, not a rule. If your child has an interest in coding and you’re wondering if Swift Fundamentals is the right fit for them, please contact the course instructor. Regardless of where they are in their coding journey, we want all kids to have the opportunity to learn to code!
What Does Your Child Need for Swift Fundamentals?
- An Apple iPad (running iPadOS 13.4+) or Mac (running 10.15.4+)
- A stable internet connection
- The free app “Swift Playgrounds”*, installed on your iPad or Mac
- Zoom - installed on your Mac, PC, or iPad, you can download your Zoom for free HERE to set up an account
*NOTE: The Swift Playgrounds app is not compatible with PC/windows*
First Flight Curriculum
Week 1 - Commands and Functions & Robotics
Week 2 - For Loops & Accessibility
Week 3 - Variables & Internet of Things
Week 4 - Conditional Code & Health and Technology
Week 5 - Types and Initialization & Augmented Reality
Week 6 - Functions with parameters & Privacy
Week 7 - Logical Operators & Conversational AI
Week 8 - While loops & Gaming
Week 9 - Arrays and Refactoring & Entrepreneurship
Bonus Material: Fun Coding Games for Kids!
In addition to a personalized learning experience for two weeks with an industry expert, your children will also receive:
- Fun games and activities (using Garageband, Clips and other apps) to do outside class time.
- Concepts related to STEM and STEAM
Are you ready to take your First Flight?
Let’s learn, code and create together!
“Brendan was able to build a good introductory foundation in Swift programming that gave my son not only the confidence to want to continue learning more, but has also started working on his own project.”
“ It's much easier to use an app, or play a game, than actually build one. This is where Swift Kids came to the rescue.”
“…class sizes were small, which allowed my son to get the one-on-one attention necessary to get the quality learning experience I had hoped for.”